Sunday, January 8, 2012

Huck Finn Blog Post 1

In the first 10 chapters of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, the narrator, Huck Finn makes a lasting impression on readers.  Huck shows that he is a self-determining, undecided, and juvenile character.  His life is filled with an emotional roller coaster between his abusive, drunk father to Widow Douglas trying to make him into a proper young boy.  As soon as his father comes back into the picture Huck becomes the rebellious replica of his dad.  “Now looky here; you stop that putting on frills.  I won’t have it.  I’ll lay for you, my smarty; and if I catch you about that school I’ll tan you good.  First you know you’ll get religion, too” (Twain 28).  This ironic statement of how his father actually does not want him to go to school or study religion, shows that Huck gets the impression that this is right and what he is supposed to do.  He also has the influence of Tom Sawyer who is always giving him a bad idea.  For example, “I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight.  I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together” (13).  In this instant, Huck is almost a follower of Tom, and always wants to do what Tom is doing. Huck’s influences shape him into someone who is not sure of what the want or who they are. 

Although Huck is sometimes manipulated by his surroundings, he also has developed an independent and self efficient aspect to his personality.  When he floats down to the island, Huck becomes more mature because of being forced to fend for himself.  “I found plenty strawberries, ripe and prime; and green summer grapes, and green razberries, and the grand blackberries was just beginning to show.  They would all come handy by and by, I judged” (46).  He found food for himself and was even talking about storing it for later.  This shows that he has some maturity and realizes what to do in a time of need.  Through his rough upbringing and facing the adventures he has so far, Huck is a character who will continue to grow into a mature and independent character.

No comments:

Post a Comment